Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Can you hear me Major Tom?


On my way into work this morning I came across the most amazing intersection in all of the greater Denver area (I-25 and Hampden for those of you not in the know) and saw two of the most hilarious / sad things I’ve ever seen in my life.
So, I’m just driving along and end up at the stop light at the top of the intersection, much like every other morning and I see this new sign. It’s one of those really neat bright poster board signs that I used to display science projects on…anyway, it has this written across it : “LARGE WIFE SALE – SHE MUST GO!” What?! So I busted a gut laughing and then felt bad that I was laughing at this poor woman’s misfortune, so I looked the other way, away from the sign and I see a homeless man panhandling on the side of the road. Typically, there’s always somebody on this corner and I usually am able to spare a couple dollars or at the very least my lunch, but I had nothing today and even if I did have a dollar or two or my usual turkey on wheat with an apple and carrots, this guy didn’t want it. You see, his sign read, “Spaceship broke down, need money for parts.” So, then I laughed a little, because well, it was funny. The guy saw me laughing and we made eye contact and he gave me a big toothless grin and then he shook his head a little in amusement and I shook mine back in admiration and I went on my way and he went on his way and the large wife, well, I don’t know where she went, but if you’re in need of a large wife, I wrote down the phone number.
Anyway, I don’t know if the space man was just being good-humored about his really sad situation or if he seriously thought his ride to the Final Frontier was in need of repair, but I realized that he taught me something pretty valuable today. He taught me that sometimes, all we can offer somebody is a genuine smile or a good-natured laugh. More often than not, we pass by folks without so much as a smile or making eye contact or doing the “Dude Nod of Acknowledgement” (come on, you know the nod), but it’s something we can offer somebody for no cost at all and it makes both parties involved feel better. I promise. Sometimes, somebody taking the time to acknowledge my existence with a little smile or by making eye contact makes all the difference. The space man made a difference for me today.
As for the photo, I’m not super environmentally conscience, but I’m fairly convinced that this family is solely responsible for any and all damage done to the ozone layer in the early ‘90s. That’s a whole lot of Aquanet, and it’s exactly what my hair looked like post-mullet phase circa 1991. Plus, it's really hard find a spaceship photo that isn't completely creepy or mega-nerdy.
Anyway, I hope you all are doing well!

5 things I’m grateful for –
1. Temples
2. Stake Conference
3. Reverence
4. Love
5. 5 Minute Hug Fests

Top five jobs I wanted to have as a child –
1. Middle Linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers
2. Professional Tap Dancer
3. Pediatric Cardiologist a la My Girl 2
4. Captain of the Good Ship Lollipop
5. Farmer’s Wife

“The space man says, 'Everybody look down, it’s all in your mind.' ~ The Killers

1 comment:

  1. I love that you saw this on your way to work. I miss seeing these signs on my to and from work downtown. They would always make me smile. I think my favorite was "Need kung fu lessons. Ninjas killed my family."

    ReplyDelete